Monday, April 03, 2006

Escarole at Home

This is what I have been craving for weeks. I used to make escarole all the time, but it seems to have fallen out of my repertoire for several years. I am so happy to be cooking and eating escarole again. The way I make escarole is sort of in-between a soup and a vegetable dish. You can push it in either direction by adding more or less water. This is a recipe for people who really like escarole. It is bitter, and I understand some folks don’t care for that, but I love it.

Escarole at Home

Olive oil
1 medium onion (or one half of an enormous onion, as I used), sliced
5 cloves garlic, sliced (not crushed or minced)
one head escarole, about ¾ pound, roughly chopped or torn
some pieces of rind from parmesan, if you have some
salt, black pepper, some additional olive oil, possibly a squeeze of lemon or drizzle of balsamic vinegar, grated parmesan, if desired

Heat olive oil in a wide heavy skillet or kettle. Add the sliced onion and cook for several minutes. When the onion slices have relaxed, add the sliced garlic and cook for a few minutes more. Add the escarole, and when it deflates, add parmesan rind pieces if you are using them, and a few cups of water, and a bit of salt. Cook for about twenty minutes and taste for seasonings. Serve in bowls. Oh, you know what? I would love some garlic bread with this.

[eta 04/05: I added some cooked rice and two dried chile pepper pods. That was nice.]

For Sweetnicks.

, , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I don't believe I've had escarole before.

Paz

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love escarole too. I went out and got some after I saw your post. I'm going to have it this weekend. Delicious. At least here in Pittsburgh, escarole is still less expensive than the trendier delicious bitter greens, like broccoli rabe, and belgian endive. I like escarole floating in some chicken soup, too, and with white beans. Yum.

It seems that a parmesan rind does very well in a lot of recipes where bacon might appear. (I do eat bacon , but I figured this out for myself cooking for my daughter and her husband, who are vegetarians.)
I love parm rind for flavor in potato soup and Italian style bean soups.

9:57 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Hi Paz,
Hope you will try this wonderful vegetable.
Hi Lindy,
Wow! I too have found parmesan rinds useful in recipes that call for bacon. I even tried frying the rinds once. They were great, but a bit of a mess.

I would have guessed escarole is trendier than broccoli rabe, but I am always behind the times.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home