Sunday, October 30, 2005

Little red eggplants



Will you just get a load
of these red eggplants! I am trying to think of a recipe that would do them justice and still show off their amazing color and shape. The lady at the farmstand warned me that they will need lots of cooking to tame their bitterness. Red eggplants have a flavor that is wilder and more intense than regular eggplants, according to Orto di Lucania.

You can scoop up much wonderful eggplant information here. There are many breathtaking photos of unusual eggplant species and varieties like these, and these.

I don’t know what to make of these; they really are eggplants, though. Here is a display of many varieties (but not our guys). These little guys are from Israel. Here’s the whole family. They are so beautiful and silky.

Eggnet: the European eggplant resource network houses The eggplant database, which has 4722 kinds of eggplant. I am amazed. I might just have to click on each one.

I found most of these eggplant sites from the Multilingual, Multiscript Plant Name Database. I adore this database—yet another reason to love Melbourne, Yerushlayim d’Australye, but they’d be even better if they had plant names in Yiddish as well.

8 Comments:

Blogger mzn said...

Those eggplant really are breathtaking. I've never seen anything like them.

9:39 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thanks MZN! They certainly took my breath away. I hope very much to be able to post soon that I lived up to them.
eqj

10:34 PM  
Blogger Amy W. said...

cute little baby eggplants

2:48 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thanks honey!

I am so kvelling

9:07 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

some kind of cut in half (ouch, so sad) roasted and stuffed with something and bechamel might preserve the shape and color somewhat . . . maybe a moussaka sauce inside? the opportunity has likely passed for you, but now i'm on the lookout.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Isil Simsek said...

these are really amazing!
In Antalya, south of Turkey, there is an interesting tradition, they make eggplant jam! Again, they are different eggplants, small as an egg and white. Tastes very nice.

5:45 AM  
Blogger PUMPKIN said...

I have alot of these eggplants from my friends garden I would love to cook them but cannot find any recipes or instructions on how to. Can anyone help?

4:18 AM  
Blogger PUMPKIN said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home