Friday, March 23, 2012

Carrot Hamentashn


I made two small batches of halwa-inspired carrot filling this year.  For the first I shredded the carrots, and for the second, I ground them coarsely in the processor.  The second method makes a filling that is easier to handle and much more hamentashnogenic.  Then I packed them in these ingenious carrot-shaped baggies from Wilton.  You need to make very, very tiny hamentashn, to get them into the pointy part.

Carrot Filling

1/2 pound carrots
2 ounces (4 tablespoons, half a stick) butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
one pinch each cinnamon and cloves
about 1/2 cup milk

Peel the carrots and grind or grate them.  Melt the butter in a skillet and add the carrots and sugar.  cook until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize.  Add the spices and milk and continue cooking until thick and fragrant.  Allow to cool and use to fill hamentashn or other pastry.   

3 Comments:

Blogger Alan Divack said...

I have a Pesach not Purim question. On another site you posted about soft matzas. I was considering trying them this year. I have long thought that korech is kind of a souvlaki sandwich. And this seems the way to go. But yr comments Reese less than positive. Imam curious about your experience.
Alan Divack (Sarah Zarrow's uncle)
diva7195@yahoo.com

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Coach Outlet Store Online said...

I really love your post here! Thank you for sharing!

8:56 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Alan,

I really would not recommend the soft Matzo I found. The unsaltedness, muted in thin crisp matzo, is chokingly evident in thick matzo.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home