Monday, July 24, 2006

Cherry and Buttermilk Soup

I have been making this almost every other day. When it is so hot you can’t even think of eating anything else, there is somehow room for cherry soup. Deconstructed shtshav is in the rotation as well.

Cherry and Buttermilk Soup

1 cup pitted cherries of any kind

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

a pinch of salt

wildflower honey, or other honey, to taste

2 cups buttermilk

If you have some leftover red wine, you can stir in about half a cup, if not, you may add a little water to thin out the buttermilk.

Place the cherries in a bowl. Toss with honey, vinegar and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and water or wine (or neither). Taste to adjust the honey-vinegar balance.

See Weekend Herb Blogging for other possibilities.


, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I bet it tastes good with the heatwave we've been having!

Paz

1:31 AM  
Blogger Gattina Cheung said...

oh I love this soup!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

It does sound good!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a buttermilk lover too, in Germany we eat it also warm with dumplings ;-)

4:04 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

paz, gattina, and kalyn, thanks so much.

ostwestwind, thanks. I like the word "klump"!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Pille said...

Sounds good! I love buttermilk & kefir, but the former is way too expensive here in Scotland and I haven't seen the latter yet.
Perfect recipe to try when I move back home to Estonia!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home