Monday, October 08, 2007

Dried Cantaloupe

It seems like months ago that I posted a photograph of some unidentified dried fruit. Now it can be told! This is dried cantaloupe from Sunflower Market in Rego Park Queens. Beautiful, huh? and wonderfully sweet and lush. In its dried form, cantaloupe is caramel-sweet with notes of chocolate, coffee and dates. At first, I couldn't believe it was cantaloupe, but then the fresh flavor of cantaloupiness blossoms out in the second wave of tasting. Here's the coolest part: when next I had fresh cantaloupe, I was able for the first time to perceive the subtle notes of the datey and chocolaty flavor that must have been there all along.
Thanks so much to everyone for your excellent guesses. I think the clear winner is Always Write who saw the fabled "Shroud of Turin Kugel." Honorable mention goes to Miriam for this helpful comment on the origin of the phrase "have a shifty":
the phrase "have a shifty" is from the anglo-arabic "have a shufti" - shufti means look (imperative) in arabic. In syrian-jewish brooklyn, kids often tell each other to "shuf" this or "shuf" that as a way of saying "check this out".

Really, you want to read them all.

2 Comments:

Blogger alwswrite said...

Wow! I'm honored. My very first crockpot arrived from Amazon.com yesterday so I'll look for a creative way to work dried cantaloupe into my next recipe.

Instead of posting my address here, is there an e-mail I can use to pass it along...?

12:36 PM  
Blogger alwswrite said...

oops -- my e-mail: alwswrite@gmail.com

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home