Sunday, January 22, 2006

Stormy Pinkness

These amazing radishes are called “bleeding heart radishes,” but I like to call them “inside-out radishes” because they are red inside and white outside. They are of course not really red inside but this amazing, explosive shade of fuchsia. I did not know such stormy pinkness existed in nature, except in fuchsias themselves, and maybe birds of paradise.

I cut this radish into matchstick julienne and mixed it with an equal volume of kohlrabi bulbs, also cut the same size, dressed them with olive oil and unfiltered apple cider vinegar and one sprig (one tablespoon) snipped dill. They were delicious and so pretty.

Here’s a page of links about food in the music of TMBG.

I humbly submit this post to Weekend Herb Blogging. . . . Better a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Very interesting. The combination of radish and kohlrabi sounds very good to me.

1:10 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thanks so much! I just amended the post to add a link to WHB and a quote from Proverbs 15:17.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've see those (or something like them) called watermellon radishes, because they can be a pretty crazy shade of green on the outside.
They are awful pretty...

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home