Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Mustard Cabbage

There are so many things to love about this vegetable, also called Chinese kale, Chinese broccoli, and gai4 lan2. The leaves, stems and buds are all so perfectly proportioned that they cook up perfectly at exactly the same moment. You can just trim the very bottoms and throw the whole plant into the pot. Then you can take your time deciding how to cut it up. This time, I just ate a few spears, or stems, or whatever the units of mustard cabbage are, with my fingers.

For Sweetnicks, good for all forms of recovery.

5 Comments:

Blogger Emanuel Ben-Zion said...

In Portugal we eat a lot of that vegetable, especially in soups.

9:53 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

What is it called in Portuguese?

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'd like to know what it's called in Portuguese, too.

BTW, Chocolate Lady, where do you get your vegetables? I don't think I've seen mustard cabbage in my neck of the woods. I'd probably have to go downtown, perhaps around Chinatown, I'm thinking... Or a well-stocked supermarket. And that means taking me out of my way. *sigh*

Paz

2:14 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

I got these, and many of the vegetables seen here at the Union Square greenmarket. I will try to credit the farmers more consistantly. The mustard cabbage was from "hydrofarm." Their stall is usually along the north edge of the park.

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Union Square! That explains it. Unfortunately, going down there takes me out of my way. Not that that's a bad thing, but I don't have time to do that and I'm not in the mood to get on the subway and then take the bus to get to the Union Square.

As I mentioned earlier on my blog, I have a small Farmer's Market in my neighborhood but the pickings are very slim and unimpressive. I guess one of these days, I'll go down there...

Paz

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home