Thursday, July 27, 2006

Bill Buford, Digested

The miraculous John Crace at The Guardian delivers the essential bits of Bill Buford’s Heat:

"Where are your knives?" barked Frankie. It was my first day on the prep line. Why hadn't it occurred to me I needed a knife? Frankie plunged a blade deep into my shoulder. I pulled it out, letting the blood spray heroically, accepting his act of generosity. Sweat pouring in rivers down my virile body, I diced vegetables for 12 hours a day.
Read the whole thing here.

3 Comments:

Blogger zoe p. said...

that is the best illustration to appear on the blog (which is saying something), or accompany reference to bill buford.

how is it that the eatee is a chef and clueless looking one?

7:10 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

heh. I thought you might like that.

Does the chef look clueless or just terrified? I can't guess what this was originally meant to advertise.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Ha! Where is the illustration from? It looks like something from Gargantua & Pantagruel.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home