Monday, April 24, 2006

Persian Figs

I visited the wonderful Sunflower International, an Iranian-Jewish market on Queens Boulevard and 64th Road in the Rego Park section of Queens where, along with four new kinds of lentils and some whole mahlob, I picked up these strikingly beautiful Persian figs. They are a bit harder than commonly available dried figs, but not as hard as they look. So far I am just enjoying them with tea or sage tea. They are mildly sweet and intensely figgy. I bet they’re just as anti-oxidant as all get-out, Sweetnicks.

, ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

LOL - I'll bet they are!

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the picture. The image is great; they look like little cartoon characters- pac-manesque, but individual.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They do look beautifu! So how do you make the tea with them -- just pour hot water over them and leave them in the cup???

I love that NY has so many types markets!

Paz

6:29 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Cate-- Thanks!

Lindy-- Look at the full size image so that you may utterly dig every gnarly nook.

Paz-- I must have been unclear. I did not make tea with the figs; I just nibbled them while sipping tea. Now that you mention it, however, Franchia makes an amazing tea with date paste. Maybe the same method would work for figs. I don't know how they do it.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home