Sunday, September 02, 2007

Fresh Edamame


One of the enduringly cool things about belonging to a CSA collective is that I frequently find myself in possession of produce I would not otherwise have had the nerve to pick out on my own (and I flatter myself that I have a fair share of courage when it comes to picking out produce). One such case is edamame on the vine. I mean just look at these guys! They are fuzzy, thorny, bulky, and I would never have guessed that there are edamame in there.

Fresh edamame are delicious for nibbling at any time and not as hard to prepare as they look.

Fresh Edamame

Pull edamame pods off the stems. I do not know if there is any way to make use of the soy stems or leaves. Bring lavishly salted water to a boil and cook the pods for 12 minutes. Later in the season you will need to cook them a little longer. Test for doneness. Drain the edamame and sprinkle the pods with salt. Eat them by popping the edamame into your mouth allowing the pods to salt your lips lightly. Ah, lightly salted lips!

See this post for more pictures and edamame-related vocabulary in Yiddish.

See Kalyn’s roundup of Weekend Herb Blogging for more leafy goodness.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I agree, that would be a great benefit of joining a CSA. You'd be bound to discover some new things! I've never seen fresh edamame, and I can imagine they'd be delicious!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, lightly salted lips! This takes me back to my last trip to Tel Aviv. Walking along the beachfront of a summer's night, I experienced the warm, moist breeze blowing in from the Mediterranean, only later to realize it had blessed my lips with salt. A gift bestowed by nature without my awareness.

9:11 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

kalyn,
I had never seen them either, and they are wonderful!

thrice venerable mother,
how beautifully put! thank you.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is she "thrice" venerable? Surely if you're venerable it's all-encompassing already?

1:06 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

nomi,

it is from the Chinese expression "san1 lao3 (three old)"
made famous in English in "In The Room" by Thomson:

This long tirade aroused the bed,
Who spoke in deep and ponderous bass,
Befitting that calm life he led,
As if firm-rooted in his place:
In broad majestic bulk alone,
As in thrice venerable age,
He stood at once the royal throne,
The monarch, the experienced sage:

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home