Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hemp Shtshav (Schav) שטשאַװ מיט קאָנאָפּליעס

There is nothing in the world like shtshav (I didn’t say there is nothing better; I just said there is nothing like it). The word shtshav in Yiddish refers both to the delicate lemony herb sorrel (rumex acetosa) and to the cooling and restorative soup in which it is most famously employed. Shtshav is high in oxalic acid, and is best enjoyed along with something high in protein and fat. In its most familiar version, shtshav is cooked with eggs. In this deconstructed version, hardboiled eggs are served alongside. I thought it was about time to try a vegan and non-allergenic alternative, and hemp seeds seemed to be the ideal medium to enrich a pareve shtshav. This worked even better than I thought—I will make it again even when I do not need to be keeping vegan. Other cooling herbal creations are to be found at Kalyn’s Weekend Herb Blogging, this week at Briciole.

Hemp Shtshav (Schav)

2 or 3 bunches of sorrel (about 1 pound)

1 cup ( 6 ounces) hemp Seeds

about 1 tablespoon salt, more to taste

1 diced summer onion

diced Kirby cucumbers (about 5)

lemon wedges

Wash the sorrel well, and trim the stems. Even if you share my enthusiasm for stems in general, you need to remove stems from sorrel.

Put the sorrel, hemp seeds and salt in a pot with about two quarts of boiling water and cook for about forty minutes. Puree very thoroughly in a blender. Serve cold with, diced cucumbers, summer onion, and lemon wedges.

שטשאַװ מיט קאָנאָפּליעס

2 אָדער 3 בינטלעך שטשאַװ (אַן ארך 1 פֿונט)

1 טעפּל קאָנאָפּליעס

1 לעפֿל זאַלץ

5 אוגערקעס, צעשניטן

1 זומער־ציבעלע, צעשניטן

רעפֿטלעך לימענע

װאַשט'ץ גוט די שטשאַװ, און נעמט'ץ אַראָפּ די שטענגלעך. טוט'ץ שטשאַװ אַרײַן אין אַ טאָפּ מיט קאָנאָפּליעס, זאַלץ, און 2 קװאַרט װאַסער. קאָכט'ץ אַ 40 מינוט און מאָלט'ץ זײ גוט אָפּ אין אַ בלענד־מאַשין. דערלאַנגט'ץ מיט אוגערקעס, ציבעלע, רעפֿטלעך לימענע און אַ ביסל יאָגורט, אױב סע גלוסט זיך.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Very interesting combination. I didn't know the name for sorrel and the name for the soup were the same. I like sorrel even though some people find it sour, so I'm guessing I might like this soup too.

8:53 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Hi Kalyn,

It is pretty sour. I can't think of any other uses for sorrel other than shtshav, but I have not done any serious searching yet. What do you make with sorrel?

11:35 PM  
Blogger Simona Carini said...

I have never had sorrel, so now I am totally intrigued.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Nooyawka said...

Excuse me, Chocolate Lady, but how does one acquire hemp seeds without waylaying an old hippie and appropriating his stock? Um, I thought hemp seeds were, y'know, illegal.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

High in oxalic acid? i though oxalic acid was bad for you - isn't that why we rinse quinoa, to get rid of the oxalic acid? i read something about it binding calcium...

4:21 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Smona,
I hope you get a chance to try it.

noo,
hemp seeds are entirely legal and non-narcotic. you can get them at health food stores and from nutiva.com.

avigayl,
Yes, Oxalic acid is bad for you. that is why eggs, dairy, or hemp are good accompaniments. they neutralize the effects of the oxalic acid and allow you to get the minerals in sorrel (or spinach, or chard, etcetera).

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home