Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Port Wine and Strawberry Buttercream

Well, bless my soul! It seems that antioxidant rich foods are more inclined to yield up their goodness when accompanied by fats! Can anyone out there claim to be the least little bit surprised? I bet Sweetnicks is not surprised.

How fortunate for me, since I recently made this port wine chocolate cake, which had a wonderful flavor (even when made with Kedem port rather than the recommended Californian selection, I admit with some reluctance). I had extra yolks and strawberries that week, and I made this port wine and strawberry buttercream, about which I am really very excited. Other delights of the garden are to be found at Weekend Herb Blogging, this week back home at Kalyn's Kitchen.

Port Wine and Strawberry Buttercream

6 yolks (1/2 cup)

3 tablespoons port

10 ounces sugar (1 1/3 cup)

1 pound sweet butter, at room temperature

Pureed strawberries (as many as you might have—I had about a cup, lightly sugared)

If you have a mixer, put the yolks, wine, and sugar in the mixer bowl, but do not put the bowl on the mixer yet (or just put them in a regular bowl). Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, and using the mixer’s whip attachment, beat the yolks until they are foamy and quite hot. Now move the bowl onto the mixer (or away from the heat), and beat until they have come to room temperature and formed a dense foam. Beat in the butter a grape-sized piece at a time. Now remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the pureed strawberries.

Spread or pipe onto cakes or cupcakes. You should have enough to fill and cover an eight or nine-inch two-layer cake, two tortes, or two dozen cupcakes. There will even be enough to have a bit right off your fingers. I mean, antioxidants and all. You know?


Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless my soul indeed! Scrumptious-looking!

Paz

8:57 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I am closing my eyes, since I'm trying very hard not to eat this kind of thing, especially right now when I really wish I was weighing about ten pounds less!

It does look delicious though!

12:19 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

paz,
thanks so much!

kalyn,
just a little taste now and then! And it turns out consumption of full-fat dairy product may be correlated with weight loss (no cause asserted as yet!)

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks amazing.. Perfect dessert for those special nights...

10:54 PM  
Blogger The Northernmost Jew said...

Antioxidants! That sounds like a good enough reason to me to eat it!

I am at the American Gathering of Mensa at the moment. There was a lecture on chocolate and antioxidants, and how much you should have, etc.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home