Tuesday, May 20, 2008

This Has NEVER Happened Before (Chocolate Shortbread)


I am out of bittersweet chocolate!
I am out of semisweet chocolate
I am out of milk chocolate
I am out of unsweetened chocolate in usable form (I need to break up a ten-pound block)

I will have to replenish my stores, since as Sweetnicks will tell you, chocolate is one of nature's most powerful antioxidants.

I do have cocoa, which I used to make a batch of Maida Heatter's chocolate shortbread. This is also the dough I use to make chocolate homentashn (hamentashen), for which you will want to double the recipe.

Chocolate Shortbread (Adapted from Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts)
2 cups (8 ounces) flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
8 ounces (1 cup, 2 sticks) cold sweet butter, cut into chunks
1 or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Heat the oven to 300f. Combine the first four ingredients in a processor and process to a fine meal. with the machine running, add the vanilla, and continue processing until the dough forms a ball. Roll the dough to about 1/2 inch thick (Heatter says no less than 1/2 inch, but I think you can make them a little thinner than that (for homentashn, you will roll them almost 1/4 inch thick))
Cut the cookies into circles, hearts, or wedges, and bake for about 25 minutes.

This recipe appeared in Yiddish here.
דער רעצעפּט גפֿינט זיך אױף ייִדיש דאָ

I should be ready
to have at that block of unsweetened chocolate as soon as these are done.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous avigayl said...

wowowowow! ikh hob dos geleyent, glaykh oysgedrukt, un ikh bin b'emes gelofn tsum kikh un zey gebakn! siz nor a sho shpeter, un ikh bin zeyer imponirt mit vi sheyn un geshmak di kikhelekh zaynen. (ikh hob gemakht kvadratn, zeyer modernish)

9:34 PM  
Blogger the chocolate lady מרת שאקאלאד said...

vunderlekh!
yo zey zenen azoy geshmak un azoy gring--laykhter vi mit a gemish. ikh hob lib oykhet tsu makhn kvadratn.
zoln zey dir zayn tsum gezunt.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous renaedujour said...

A block of chocolate and a hammer. Life doesn't get much better.

12:49 PM  
Blogger the chocolate lady מרת שאקאלאד said...

rena,

you understand!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Paz said...

Oh, wow! Your chocolate shortbread looks terrific.

Paz

8:04 PM  
Blogger sher said...

They look marvelous to me! But,...I'm really worried about you not keeping sufficient quantities of chocolate on hand!!!!! :)

3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home