Monday, November 20, 2006

The First Thing I Ate This Week

This week I will be joining the remarkable Sam of Becks&Posh and an international cohort in a project that combines blogging and conceptual art. I will undertake to photograph everything I eat from now until Sunday night. After only one day I am already a little puzzled at the extent to which my blog diverges from what I really eat. You would have thought I already knew what I really eat, wouldn't you? I am beginning to believe that if you eat something and then don't blog about it, there is a sense in which you haven't really eaten it.

Today the first thing I ate was a shake made with soymilk and hempseeds. Yes, I know; I'm a nut. Tune in Monday and see the whole awful truth.

Soy Shake

2 cups soymilk (I use Westsoy unsweetened soymilk)

2 tablespoons toasted hulled hempseeds

pinch salt

Combine the soymilk, seeds, and salt in a blender and blend at high speed for a few minutes, or grind the seeds in a mill or processor, add them to the soymilk along with the salt and shake well

To Toast Seeds

Heat a cast iron skillet over a medium flame. Add the seeds, and cook, stirring constantly. Remove them from the heat just a moment before they reach the desired golden color, and continue stirring off heat for another minute.

These recipes appeared in Yiddish here. In the excerpt quoted from Shira Gorshman's "Destiny," a Moscow family is startled when their rural in-laws shower the bride with hemp seeds.

Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging is to be found this week at Cook (Almost) Everything at Least Once

,
, , , , , , , , ,

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I'm impressed you're taking this on. I wouldn't dare admit all the things I eat. Sometimes I eat things that are quite strange.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

i think this is the most interesting oart of the question.

we blog food, but we don't necessarily blog what we eat.

very fascinating indeed!

thanks for taking part.

I am SO excited about this project.

1:54 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

kalyn,

Now I am intrigued! What could possibly be that strange? You gotta tell!

sam,

This is a very interesting project. I am thinking about my meals intensely and enjoying them even more (and I think about food quite a lot to begin with).

I just remembered I had a glass of juice I forgot to photograph! I was baking pies and my hands were covered with flour. Now I will have to pour a dummy glass and shoot it. Hu-ha

7:13 PM  
Blogger Anna (Morsels and Musings) said...

what do hempseeds taste like?

are they something that could be eaten on their own, or are they best combined with other things?

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just know the taste and use of hemp oil. The seeds interest me a lot.

9:10 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Anna and Virginie,

Raw hemp seeds are bitter and oily. Once toasted, they lose some bitterness and take on a slightly nutty flavor. Store these and all hemp products in the freezer. They are volatile and can turn rancid very fast.
According to some sources, hemp seeds provide an even more complete protein than soy. Of course, all these sources are selling hemp seeds, so I think we need to wait for more information. Anecdotal evidence I've heard so far from folks on high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets such as South Beach is that the seeds are satisfying.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home