Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hybrid Green Tomatoes

Well of course I figured that when I got these lovely green tomatoes home I would fry them, but I found I am out of cornmeal. I have somehow used up all ten pounds of the Iroquois white corn I got less than a year ago. This is wonderful stuff, and it seems I am spoiled for all other cornmeal, so I thought I’d try breading the tomato slices with matzo meal. I could not be more thrilled with the results and I think that even when the pantry is restocked (in an auspicious hour), this will remain my master recipe. The matzo browns well in high heat without burning and forms a very satisfying crust. Streit’s, firmer and more coarsely milled than the others, is the best.

Hybrid Green Tomatoes

Green tomatoes

Salt

Black pepper

Tabasco sauce or other hot sauce

Streit’s matzo meal (about ¼ cup per medium-sized tomato

Unfiltered peanut oil, or regular peanut oil

Slice the tomatoes about one third of an inch thick. Season both sides liberally with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Put the matzo meal in a plastic bag. I guess this would work with a paper bag too, but it would be a little trickier. Add the seasoned tomato slices to the bag. If you are making a lot, you might want to do this in two or three batches. Here’s the good part: blow into the bag to make a taut drum and shakety shakety shake until the tomatoes are coated to your liking. Heat oil in a skillet and cook the tomatoes over high heat on both sides. These are wonderful with rich cheesy things like Welsh Rabbit.


Other emergency adaptations at Sweetnicks.

, , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home