Sunday, January 06, 2008

Twice-Baked Squash with Sage

I was in at the Conuco farm stand in Union Square, about to purchase that handsome Musquee de Provence from Stephanie, and fancying myself unobserved when I was spotted by a keen-eyed neighbor. “Are you buying squash?!?” She cried, shocked and appalled in equal measure, “you want more squash? I’ll give you squash!”

My neighbor’s reaction is more reasoned than you might at first guess. We are both members of the CSA of Stoneledge Farm, and even for our always miraculous farm, this was mamesh an annus mirabilis for squash. I have lots of leftover cooked squash, the better to make this cozy little gratin, for instance.

See Kalyn’s Kitchen for this weekend’s roundup of herbal strategies.

Twice-Baked Squash with Sage

Cooked squash

Butter

Parmesan

Salt

Pepper

Sage leaves

Additional butter

Butter a baking pan of the appropriate size. Fill it halfway with cooked squash, sliced, diced, or gently fork-mashed into shape. Dot with butter, grated parmesan, and salt and pepper liberally. Fill the dish with more squash, and top with additional butter, salt, pepper, and parmesan. In a small skillet, fry some sage leaves in butter (12 sage leaves will cover a 1 ½ quart dish nicely). Pour the sage leaves and their butter over the top of the squash and bake for about 30 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.

farmers markets, Farms & Farmers , vegetables, Food and Drink, Recipes, Cooking, Food, Vegetarian, vegetables, Weekend Herb Blogging, whb,

antioxidant-rich foods,

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Yum! I've baked squash in a casserole dish like this many times, but never thought about using sage! What a great addition. I'm hungry for some right now.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chocolate Lady, are you saying you REFRAINED from buying that beautiful musquee de provence? If I could get my hands on one of those I would not let the opportunity go by. I am shocked.

2:00 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

kalyn,
I hope you will try it--the sage was just right!

nomi,

Oh heavens, is the post ambiguous? OF COURSE I bought the squash! I mean, what do you think?

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so relieved.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

I wish someone would give me squash. The gratin looks delish.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

That looks fabulous! I wish we had lots of left-over cooked squash!!

-Elizabeth

3:21 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

nomi, yulinka, and ejm,

you got the right stuff! ya hear that, keen-eyed neighbor?

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home