Sunday, November 18, 2007

Evolutionary Organics Farm

Kira and her squash

I will be missing Evolutionary Organics Farm at Union Square over the winter. I am especially fond of the informative and unusually frank labels the farmer makes for each vegetable.How often do folks come out and tell you they can't figure a particular green out?
And then there's this:

I just love that.
So I know I can believe her about this Marina di Chioggia, the most perfect squash in the universe:
Well, I have lots of squash, but I was not going to leave the most perfect squash in the universe all alone. It's Thanksgiving. I'll think of something to do with it. OK, I got one of these too. Sue me!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you open a squash that large? Or do you cook it whole?

8:48 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

I cook them whole. It is much easier. I can't understand why every recipe I have read so far says to open them first.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Nooyawka said...

The Japanese word 'Testsukabuto' {pronounced tets'kab'to) means Helmet. Japanese cut it into any size pieces they like to cook it.

10:53 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

new york dude,

very interesting, thanks.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Creyde said...

I am a loyal patron of Kira's produce! Did you know she still sells at the Grand Army Plaza on Saturdays. Mostly root vegetables and sprouts.
www.culinariacreyde.blogspot.com

11:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

First of all, your blog is darling! Second of all, I live in New Paltz and am good friends with Kira and am also a vegan chef who uses a ton of her produce. So, it was hilarious and awesome to come across this site when Googling her to see if she had put up her own website yet. Hooray for Kira!

3:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this post, and because Kira hasn't launched her own site yet, I'm using your post as her site instead.

Squash out!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home