Tuesday, January 15, 2008

White pomegranate װײַסער מילגרױם

I was never all that amused by the milder, sweeter varieties of watermelon or cherries in their white or pale yellow finery. The redder the better, I usually say, but these Spanish white pomegranates were a revelation. They are almost as deep red inside as common pomegranates, and much more sweet and flowery. The real miracle is the juiciness of the seeds. They are about twice as large as common pomegranate seeds, but the inner fibrous kernel is much smaller, so they are almost all pulp. I found this one on my recent visit to Canada, or somewhere of that sort.

The Yiddish word for white pomegranate is װײַסער מילגרױם (vayser milgroym).

Ever seen one of these, Sweetnicks?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger דורית said...

Great Blog!!!
I love it!
I wish my bubeh had a computer!!
at least maybe know I will learn a few words!

3:07 AM  
Blogger Katia Mangham said...

How beautiful! I had not heard of a white pomegranette before, I was expecting the seeds to have clear juice as well- that is until I saw the next photo.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home