Sunday, January 29, 2006

Avocados with cilantro (not guacamole!)


Cilantro provokes strong feelings. I am crazy about it, but many folks have a powerful aversion to the volatile oils that give this herb its unusual fragrance. If you can’t endure cilantro, you can leave it out.

Avocados with cilantro (not guacamole!)


Chop about five sprigs cilantro. Cut three to five avocados into ¾ inch dice. Place them in a bowl and dress with olive oil, salt, a squeeze of lime juice, and a few drops of balsamic vinegar. Add the chopped herbs and mix gently. That’s all. I know you are thinking of adding slivered onions, or red pepper, but that’s another ball game. This is a mild, cooling partner to the spicy kabocha stew with hominy.

Am I on time for Weekend Herb Blogging, Kalyn?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I'm totally insane over cilantro. I would put it in everything, if only it would stay good in the fridge longer.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilliant photos! I love cilantro and avocado too. And I totally agree that cilantro wilt and die way too fast. Do you know we even chew on it to refresh the palate sometimes?

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cilantro and avocados! Thanks for this recipe. I'm anxious to try it. ;-)

Paz

2:32 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thanks so much. Cilantro disposal strategies to come!

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home