Friday, January 27, 2006

Rutabaga Dybbuk

What on earth possessed me to go and buy two and a half pounds of rutabagas?

At first I thought I would try to leave myself some free time this weekend, and just make them boiled and mashed with a bit of butter; and then I remembered that years ago I was very happy with Bert Greene’s recipe for Bashed Neeps which is made of half rutas and half potatoes (And I do still have heaps of russets to use up); and then I thought, well why not make it richer with eggs or cheese or leftover hominy grits or all three? And then I thought, once I’m adding those ingredients, why not make it into a torta baked in a springform pan lined with toasted crumbs? And why not make a middle layer of a contrasting color for a really snazzy presentation? You see? It’s a slippery slope.


2 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I scrolled down quite a ways on your blog tonight and was amazed by all the interesting vegetables I found. Very interesting stuff.

11:37 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Hi Kalyn,

Thanks for scrolling! I've always loved seeking out and trying interesting vegetables, and lately I am ever on the lookout for something to feed the blog.I

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home