Thursday, February 23, 2006

Amaranth


The tiny little amaranth grains are smaller than poppy seeds, but you can cook them just like rice. So delicious!


Bring two cups of water to the boil. Add ½ teaspoon salt and stir in one cup whole amaranth grains. You will need to stir a lot a first—they will try to clump up on you. When you are satisfied that everything is well-stirred, cover lightly and cook over low heat for just about twenty-five minutes. Allow it to rest in the pot a few minutes. Now you can:

1. Eat it as is, with or without milk, salt, butter, or sugar

2. Mix about one part cooked amaranth with three parts cooked brown short-grain rice merely to provide corroborative detail, you know.

3. Remember to set aside two tablespoons for my new coconut cornbread recipe, coming soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word 'amaranth' sounds/looks familiar to me. I'm not sure where I've seen it. Is this found in Biblical/ancient times or something?

And where can one buy this?

taking a guess,
Paz

2:22 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Amaranth, native to the New World, is ancient, but not biblical. It was one of the sacred grains of the Aztecs, according to Sophie Coe. You can get it at health food stores. When I was in college there was a place on upper Broadway called Tamarind Seed. Is it still there? They probably have some.

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Thanks, Chocolate Lady! I probably came across it reading an article... YES, Tamarind Seed is still around. I'll go check it out!

Paz (excited!)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow, I've never heard of this before so it's really fascinating to me. I love your blog as I always learn something new here. Cheers!

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home