Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mango Pudding, and the Situation So Far

I realize there is nothing in the photo to provide scale, but I assure you, this thing was huge.

It looks like an ostrich egg fried sunny-side-up, but this is in fact the mango pudding at Buddha-Bodai on Main Street in Flushing. The center is a jelly made with mango pulp and probably set with agar-agar. The circumferential element is a delicious soymilk mousseline. I would love to know how they make this. It is flowery, mildly sweet, and has none of the harshness regrettably common in soy desserts. This enormous pudding serves six to eight, but on this occasion, our merry band of four girl geeks flew through it like hot potatoes being fired through a wall of butter into the Tsar’s mouth. We do work hard, you know.

I wrote the previous paragraph almost six weeks ago, just before my hard drive was overcome by the Catalepsy leaving me with very spotty access to my various writing projects, not to mention my own brain (lavender tea does not seem to work on computers). When I made the unfortunate generalization about soy desserts, I did not yet know about Kyotofu, the soy dessert restaurant enthusiastically reviewed in the Times last week. I have not yet been, but I am intrigued. This might be just the place to restore one feeling much better and back at work.

I will be trying to make one of these, and if and when, you will read about it here. For now, over to Sweetnick's for more satisfying, if visually misleading, dishes.

, , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! I'm disappointed that you don't have a recipe, but I'm thinking now of how I might be able to duplicate it. Hmmmm...

5:22 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thanks susanv,

I will try to come up with a recipe when I can.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In German words: Boah eh!:-)

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home