Sunday, March 30, 2008

Hemp Seed Cookies (Gluten-Free)


This dough is vegan and wheat free, but most decidedly not sugar-free.

Wheat-Free Vegan Dough for Cookies or Tart Shells

2 cups (12 ounces) raw almonds

4 ounces hemp seeds

2 tablesppons golden flax seeds (or regular flax seeds)

¼ cup chickpea flour

1 cup sugar (These were quite sweet. Less sugar would probably be just fine)

½ cup coconut oil

Grind the almonds to a fine meal in a processor or grinder. You will have about 2 ½ cups of almond flour. Toast the hemp seeds to a light golden color and grind them to a fine meal. Grind the flax seeds (or you can buy ground flax meal to start with). Combine the ground nuts and seeds with the chickpea flour in a processor with the sugar and coconut oil, or mix by hand to form a cohesive dough. Chill the dough for an hour or so. This makes a delicious sable-type pastry. It will not hold together quite well enough for homentashn, but you can make wonderful thumbprint cookies (prune filling will be a nice match) or tart shells.

Kalyn provided the original inspiration for this recipe with these adorable almond cookies. See all the Weekend Herb Blogging entries by Ramona at The Houndstooth Gourmet this week.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making gluten free recipes is very important nowadays and your cookies look extra-delicious.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I love the idea of this! I read a post recently on BlogHer about how hemp seeds are a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids and I have them on my shopping list. Maybe I can make this with Splenda. (Cover your eyes, I know you don't approve of it. If I made cookies more than a few times a year I might not use it.)

Hey, I am trying to talk a couple of my friends into coming to New York with me this summer. If I can convince them, I'll definitely be in touch.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Miriam Segura-Harrison said...

posting pesach recipes a bit early arent we :-)

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look terrific--love the hemp seed addition. I'm able to eat gluten, but am always trying out GF foods anyway (and why not, if they sound as good as these?).

9:03 AM  
Blogger Danielle H Friedman said...

these are beautiful! I wish I could have come to your home, eaten cookies so delicious looking as these and drank some tea with you! Next time...hopefully soon!

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home