Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Manhattan Circumnavigation and Home-Made Take-Out

On my way up the West Side, I saw this bendy building,
lilacs,
the main plant of H&H bagels,
and many gorgeous ruined piers and pile fields.
The bicycle path is interrupted at 125th street, where you can see some very rare remaining trolley tracks. Look at fascinating historic subway photos here, including this postcard of this very spot.

The greenway seems to come to a dead end here somewhere in the 160's, but if you go all the way over to the right, you can find the place to continue.

Along the way I saw folks strolling, reading, eating, practicing music (with saxophonists in the majority for some reason), doing construction work,
baton twirling,
fishing, and just walking or riding.
Just south of the George Washington Bridge there is this sweet little curve where you have water on three sides. This is where I took a little break and . . .
Here's what I brought along: a whole-grain roll from Bread Alone with butter and salt, a piece of "swish" cheese (Swiss sheep cheese) from Valley Shepherd Dairy, salted nuts, dark chocolate (camera-shy), celery (I didn't throw it at anyone), a carton of unsweetened soymilk, some apple juice, and a bottle I filled with delicious New York City tap water. Everything got wrapped in a cloth napkin and packed in a brown-paper bag. This week Lindy at Toast will be examining what we bring along and how we wrap it. You can also chew the scenery. Among the edible plants here are dandelions, wood sorrel, mache, and rhubarb.This interesting structure is a bit north of the bridge.
Crossword enthusiasts will recognize this as a stoa. Now I just need to ride past a proa and an anoa.
Stairs? Nobody said there were going to be any stairs!Heading back downtown on the Harlem River Drive.
Now I seem to be in the Bronx. How might that have happened?
I think I'm back in Manhattan now. I just liked this pile field with gulls, near East 155th Street.
And home sweet home! I seem to have made fewer pictures of the East Side. Next time mertseshem I'll go around the other way. Since I'll be traveling right-to-left, you'll read about it in Yiddish.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger zoe p. said...

I love this. A new genre of posts for your blog. I hope its a recurring feature.

I always want to do this for our bike rides, but I don't have an intimate relationship with my camera.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! You make NY look so idyllic. Looks like it was perfect weather for a bike ride and a picnic.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day you must have had! thank you

4:08 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

thanks, zp, julie, and yaffa glass,

I will have to address my relationship with my camera at some point.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really needed that outing. I feel appropriately refreshed, and stimulated. Thank you.

10:55 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

lindy,
so good to have you virtually along.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home