Sunday, April 29, 2007

Pineapple Sage

From left to right: garden sage, purple sage, golden sage and pineapple sage

Pineapple sage (salvia elegans) is a revelation. The leaves have the unmistakably vivid and heady aroma of pineapple. How do they do that? The flavor is very like that of garden sage, with just the tiniest bit of the fruitiness promised by the scent. I can think of a few things I would like to try with this new (to me) herb, and I am starting out with strawberries because they, like this sage, belong at once to so many anomalous categories.

Sagacious Strawberries

Strawberries

Fresh pineapple sage leaves (or other sage)

Sugar

Balsamic vinegar

Wash and hull the strawberries. You may slice them, halve them, or leave them whole. Sprinkle the berries lightly with sugar (or leave the sugar out, if you wish), and add a drop or two of vinegar. Wash a few sage leaves and cut them into a chiffonade. Toss the berries with the sage leaves and serve.

This herb would also be ideal for sage tea and sage lemonade.

Glenna will be rounding up this Weekend’s Herb Blogging at A Fridge Full of Food. Do have a look.



, , , , , , , , , , ,

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenna said...

yes! My Nannie and I used to grow pineapple sage in her garden. It's lovely in cornbread (hee hee) dressing with a roasted chicken. Great post.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I just saw this today when I was buying some herbs. I didn't buy a plant though because I have a HUGE sage plant already! How much sage can a woman use? Great idea to use it with strawberries.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

What a wonderful recipe, and the dish looks so inviting!!

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home