Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Carrot and Parsnip Puree

Carrots by Shih

Here’s something to do with the root vegetables when you want to make a clear soup, especially for peysekh, which as I hardly need to remind you, is hurtling toward us like a hyper-caffeinated ostrich (I have an amazing soup recipe in the pipe for you--oh, I just can't wait!). Amounts are approximate. This will work just fine if you don't have parsley root and celeriac, but I think the carrots and parsnips are essential, both for the puree and for the broth which is the pretext for the whole thing.

Root Vegetable Puree

1 pound carrots

1 pound parsnips

1 bunch parsley roots (about 1 pound) with attached parsley (optional

1 celeriac (about 12 ounces)

1 medium onion

12 cloves garlic

2 or 4 tablespoons butter

2 7-ounce packages farmer cheese

several sprigs snipped dill

salt, paprika, and white pepper to taste

Cook the vegetables in salted water until they are quite tender. Strain, and use the liquid in soup. When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, puree them, and mix in a few tablespoons of butter, the farmer cheese, and dill. This was delicious just like that, and it is just fine if you leave out the butter and cheese.

Happy Republic Day to India, surrogate homeland to all who are devoted to deliciousness.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. M. said...

I like the idea of adding farmer's cheese to this. I could be good as a veggie-based dip or spread.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Rumela said...

I made mashed potatoes which I added to my carrot and parsnip puree (I dipped a finger in the make sure it was ok first). I haven’t really eaten meat in so long that I didn’t feel the least bit guilty eating the entire chop!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home