Tuesday, November 18, 2008

One Ginkgo Nut

The good news is that more and more New Yorkers are discovering the many uses of the delicious and protein-rich ginkgo nuts joyfully leaping off their trees free of charge just around now. Last year I wrote
Every year in late November, the ginkgo trees on my block shed pounds and pounds of edible and healthful nuts. The ginkgo nuts lie trodden underfoot because nobody knows what to do with them.
That was last year. So far this year I have successfully gathered one (1) ginkgo nut.

Clearly the word is out. I am trying to keep in mind that this is good news. Maybe there is still a big ginkgo windfall coming. Yes, that must be it. Fall weather is starting very late this year.
If you are lucky enough to get some local nuts, have a look at my recipe for Brussels sprouts with ginkgo nuts, along with instructions for gathering and shelling the nuts is here.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the smell not deter you?
If something smells that bad, even if I COULD get in near my lips, I'd definitely be afraid of the taste......

9:11 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

The smell is only in the outer husk around the shell. this is easily rubbed off (wear protective gloves). The nuts themselves have a very mild and pleasant smell and taste.

Walnuts also have smelly outer husks, which are much harder to remove.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Miriam Segura-Harrison said...

across from candle 79 there is a tree heavily laden with gingko nuts!!

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home