Friday, November 07, 2008

Tomato Love

We are still getting exquisite summer tomatoes here in New York. Last week I got four pounds of wonderful tomatoes and made a double batch of Madhur Jaffrey’s cream of tomato soup, and then I got another four pounds of wonderful tomatoes and made another double batch of tomato soup.This week I got carrots, beets, celeriac, potatoes, leeks, and shallots and made a mixed vegetable soup and I am mad at it for not being tomato soup. I have never been angry at soup before.

I will post my adaptation of the tomato soup recipe shortly, but more urgently, I cannot let the tomato season go by without sharing this perfect movie on the subject of Southern food in general and tomato sandwiches in particular by tomato guru and YouTube goddess Lemonette. There is only one way to make a tomato sandwich, Lemonette will have us know, and I credit her on this as on every subject in the universe. You just have to watch this. Go ahead; I'll wait:




Is that not the living end? Are you going to watch all her movies forever? You know what really sends me? When she imitates the other lady's Southern accent. Otherwise we totally would not have an idea. About Southern accents, I mean. I will be crushed if I learn that Lemonette is in fact the creation of a bunch of artists in Williamsburg, but if she is, they have done an amazing job. I had never heard of adding sugar to rice as a Southern practice, but I do love to combine bananas and rice.



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lao Qiao said...

Southern accents are not uniform. The biggest difference, and the one we heard mocked, is between r-less and r-ful dialects. The former are coastal; the latter, inland.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lemonette seems to think there is a class difference between these accents. Is that not so?

My word verification is definitely a Yiddish word: batickle (YIVO trans: batikl)

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the ladies would be happy with the soups as they are made with your waistline in mind, and that means less than 5% cream in the soup. It's got the Singapore Heart Foundation's approval.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home