Sunday, January 25, 2009

Spring Cleaning (Gettin' Ready for Love)


Skateboarding Giraffe by Christine Larsen


On Thursday I heard a beautiful song about hakhune lepeysekh הכנה לפּסח(Passover preparations). It is called Spring Cleaning (Gettin’ Ready for Love) by Fats Waller (1937). I don’t remember all the words, and I can’t seem to find them anywhere, but to paraphrase only slightly, the point Fats was trying to make is that the joyous and auspicious holiday of peysekh is hurtling toward us like a giraffe on a snowboard. Running and getting out of the way are simply not options. Fortunately, there is no need to panic. I have tagged as peysekhdik or perfect for peysekh these archival recipes. Gut Khoydesh גוט חודש and xin1nian2 kuai4le4 新年快樂:

Pokey-Leekey Soup (with fresh chiles instead of Tabasco sauce)

גרינסן־זאַפֿט

Collard Greens

Apple and Quince Sauce

The recipes for Venus Nectar and Carrot Cake from the Famous Cook Book

Lost and Found Kabocha Soup of Many Colors

שפּינאַט און קרײַטעכצער קוכן

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A VERY SHORT poem addressed to a giraffe.

I have long thought
that if, like yours,
one's legs could begin
the minute one's neck leaves off
a great many problems would be
solved
-- tell me, am I right?

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I have the same feeling about my approaching un-wedding anniversary every year (only 96 more days to think of something to really KNOCK HER SOCKS OFF this year!!) that you do about peysekh.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home