Monday, August 17, 2009

Shave-Ice האָבל-אײַז

OMG shaved ice! When was the last time? I don’t even remember. You see, this is why you have to stay in New York all summer, even when the heat index is 108.

The shaved ice man uses a small hand-plane to scrape the ice block,

Then the back of the plane forms the ice-needles into a perfect cone when he scoops it into a cup,
and pours on the syrup. I chose tamarindo. Tam-gan-eydn-arindo!

I wish I could have made a sound file of the ice-planing process, because a large part of the pleasure of having the shave-ice is hearing the khromtshe, khromtshe, khromtshe of the plane scraping across the ice-block.
The Yiddish word for shave-ice is האָבל-אײַז (hobl-ayz), or plane-ice

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Yes! This is my favorite too. When I was growing up (UWS in the 80s) I would get a cherry one and my dad would get one with rum....I wonder if they still do that?

4:34 PM  
Blogger Lao Qiao said...

I had always assumed the Yiddish word for shaved ice was "sheyvd ays."

4:42 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

sarah, I think he had rum, but no cherry.

san lao qiao
is "sheyvd" possible in Yiddish?

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Fred said...

During a recent first visit to Kauai, Hawaii, we had shave ice at least daily. They use machines that rotate around the bottom of an ice block. In Hanalei (home of Puff) there's a truck of venerable status that claims to be The Original (no, not Ray's) and is indeed the best. Besides two dozen or more flavors, you can ask for a "cream top", an additional pouring over of sweetened condensed milk. Only once a day? Must have been more.

6:36 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

fred,
the sweetened condensed milk sounds like a very nice touch. Can the machine provide the same sonoral bliss as the hand-planing?

12:34 PM  
Blogger LapsusMentale said...

Sort of like granita

2:32 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

fk, yes, a rustic granita.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home