Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Herb of the Year

Congratulations to Kalyn on the joyous occasion of a New Year for Weekend Herb Blogging. I have concluded after much difficult deliberation that the herb without which I cannot live, If I must name just one, is flat-leaf parsley, or Italian parsley.

The Yiddish word for this kind of parsley is petrishke, and this word figures in the common expression "hefker petrishke" or "anything goes." Translated literally, this phrase would mean "stray parsley" or "wanton parsley."

I hope you will no longer have to live without some of my most beloved parsley-centric recipes. Keep your wanton parsley from going astray with:
Persian Herb Pie
Ratatouille
Dill and Chard Frittata
I really like dill too. This dill-scented soup uses parsley root, a neglected but deeply satisfying vegetable.
And if you read Yiddish, try this amazing Spinach and Herb Cake (Translation pending).

, , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure parsley is the best herb of the year ;-) Guess what my favourite herb is !

2:12 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I always meant to make that Persian Herb Pie and now I know just where to find the recipe!! I have to admit, parsley is pretty high on my list too. (And no, I do not say that to all the herbs.)

10:22 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

ostwestwind, thanks!
kalyn, I recommend the herb pie enthusiastically. Cilantro and dill are tied in second place for me.

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home