Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fumitory Water

There may be better blogs with prettier pictures, but who else is going to help you prepare your fumitory water?

Fumitory water is an herb-scented water analogous to rose water and orange flower water made from fumitory (it is a noun), the common name for fumaria officinalis, or פֿעלדרױך (feldroykh, or “field-smoke”) in Yiddish. I found my fumitory water at the Sunflower Market in Queens, and by now you know I just wasn't about to leave without it. Mr. Mizrahi suggested making a refreshing summer drink by mixing the fumitory water with honey, water, and ice, adding that this potation is “very good for the heart, blood, cholesterol, everything.” I have no doubt that it is.

The flavor is a tiny bit smoky, with notes of dates, figs, and prune, and something like gum Arabic or gum mastic. It is very different from anything I have tasted before. I might try this instead of rose or orange blossom water next time I make a syrupy dessert, just to see what happens.

Cooling Fumitory Water

In a tall glass, combine a teaspoon of mild honey with a tablespoon of fumitory water and a pinch of salt. You may use more or less honey, or leave it out altogether. Fill the glass with cool water and ice.

Kalyn will be rounding up other life-giving potions at this week's Weekend Herb Blogging.

Image from Flora von Deutschland Österreich und der Schweiz.1885, Gera, Germany, by Otto Wilhelm Thomé, reproduced from Kurt Stueber’s very swell biology bibliography.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Wow, very interesting. I've never heard of this, and I have quite a few herb books. You do come up with the best things. (Sometimes I wish I lived in New York instead of boring old Utah. But other times, it's not that boring.)

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better blogs? Prettier pictures? Surely you Jest.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post! I want to make my own fumitory water, now! I haven't been here in quite some time. It's good to be back. ;-)

Paz (who agrees with Nomi. Surely you jest.)

8:35 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

kalyn, nomi, and paz,

I love y'all!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

Thanks for another revelation. It´s Erdrauch in German and so I´m off to look for it. Sounds interesting to me. :))

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

אחלה בלוג יש לך.
תמשיך ככה. אשמח לראות יותר מתכונים של בולבול.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, nice information for moreHoney Water

6:42 AM  
Blogger www.cashewdeal.in said...

Raw Organic Whole Cashews (320 Count). These Organic Cashews have a rich and creamy flavor and are great for baking, cooking or snacking.

Buy Cashews online now.. http://www.cashewdeal.in/

6:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I first learned of this herb from Juliette de Bairacli's Levy's book "Common Herbs for Natural Health". "Tendency to sleep overlong", "A Gypsy favorite" It is so incredible for jaundice but she recommends a wineglass of vinegar infusion and drinking vinegar isn't always as enjoyable as this water. I am very interested to see if anyone knows any more about this medicine plant. Please post!!!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home