Sunday, June 17, 2007

White Beans and Thyme

Thyme, basil, curly parsley, tarragon, lemon thyme, and a mild type of mint.

This gorgeous herbal bouquet was a gift from the Girl and Boy of the Limberlost, to whom I send heartfelt congratulations and all best wishes. So far, I used several sprigs of the thyme in some white beans.
White beans seem to me to be the trickiest beans to cook properly, and if you need firm, perfectly discrete beans, I might not be the best source of instructions. It is usually better to skip the soaking step because of white beans are a bit more fragile and delicate than their red, black, pink, spotted and speckled relatives.

White Beans With Garlic and Thyme

Place beans in a large kettle or slow-cooker and cover generously with water. Salt the water liberally, and add several peeled garlic cloves, several sprigs of thyme and one pasilla chile or other chile.
Cover and cook until done. Cooking times will vary widely.
Some of these beans were just right with pasta, arugula, and tomatoes, and the some were smashing stewed with onions and mizuna greens. They are good on their own, especially with black rice for contrast.

See Rachel's Bite for more of this weekend's herbal endeavors.
, , , , , , , , , ,

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Miriam Segura-Harrison said...

wow, did u read my mind? I was just thinking.. hmmm, id love to make white beans tonite. now i have ideas!!!! excellent! i shall make them in my la chamba! and perhaps blog them!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I am barely getting caught up on reading these! I do love thyme with white beans. They seem like they're made for each other.

2:58 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

miriam, i look forward to reading about them!

kalyn, thanks! I admire your commitment to every whb post!

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home