Sunday, June 10, 2007

Green Rice

Among the dishes I prepared for my birthday was this green rice, which turned out to be even more delicious that I had imagined, and I had imagined it might be pretty good. I usually like stems, but they won’t work in this recipe, because the greens need to melt into the rice. These are the greens I had on hand, but I think an equal amount of almost any kind of greens would work brilliantly. It is especially good if you have at least some spinach, because of the special affinity between spinach and rice.

Green Rice

Olive oil

2 onions

1 small bunch collard greens (about ½ pound)

1 bunch spinach (about ½ pound)

1 bunch radish greens (about ¼ pound)

2 cups sushi-type rice, or other rice

salt, about four tesapoons, possibly more

Tabasco sauce and lemon juice to taste, optional

Feta, optional

Prepare the vegetables: cut the onions into medium dice; wash the greens and remove the stems; cut the collards into 1/8 inch chiffonade, and chop the spinach and radish greens roughly. Heat oil in a deep heavy pot, and add the diced onions. Coo the onions for several minutes. When the onions have begun to soften add the collards. After another few minutes add the spinach and radish greens, rice, and salt. Stir and cook another minute and add three and a half cups of water. When the water boils, cover the pot and lower the heat. The rice should be done in about thirty minutes. Check a few times to give a little stir, and see if more water is needed. Taste for seasoning. If you happen to have some feta to serve on top or on the side it is even more wonderful.

Ulrike at Kuchenlatein will be rounding up other verdant creations at Weekend Herb Blogging.

, , , , , , , , , ,

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Eve!!!!!!!!!!

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Eve and thanks for sharing this great recipe with us. I've never found collard greens here in the North of Germany.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Happy birthday! I love the sound of this. Right now I have three kinds of radishes and I'm wondering what to make with the greens. It won't be rice though, because I'm trying to lose a few pounds I gained the last couple of weeks of school (too much stress eating.) Saving this recipe for later though.

9:09 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

thanks, miriam, ulrike and kalyn!

kalyn, i was thinking of making a lower glycemic version with half rice and half hemp seeds, or maybe even all hemp for a dear friend on a zero-tolerance diet.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Helene said...

Happy Birthday to you!! :))
What a green sensation. I love risotto and all in green and white, must be delicious.

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home