Sunday, July 08, 2007

Herbed Cashew Paté with Green Garlic for Starship Squash

More wonderful squash is coming in over the transom this week and I really wanted to show off these pretty little starship zucchini, especially after having grated up last week’s bounty. The amount of filling I made would have filled almost twice as many squashes, so I just baked the extra bit in a little terrine.

Herbed Cashew Paté with Green Garlic for Starship Squash

5 starship squash or other small summer squash (more would be even better)

1 cup raw cashews or cashew pieces

3 large cloves (1/2 head) green garlic (or other garlic), peeled

Fresh green herbs (I used leaves from two sprigs oregano, four of dill, one of summer savory and eight of thyme. Some parsley would have been good, too, if I had had some)

Salt and pepper

Olive oil

Cut lids in the tops of the squashes. Scoop out the insides with a melon baller or spoon. Place the pulp in a colander over a bowl and salt lightly. Salt the insides of the hollow squash cups and lids as well and allow them to rest upside down for about an hour, or less if you are really pressed.

Put the cashews in a small saucepan with water to cover. Bring them to the boil and boil for two or three minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the cashews to cool in their water. Poach the squash cups for about five minutes in boiling water.

Drain the squash pulp and the cashews. Place them in a processor with the garlic, salt and pepper, and herbs and grind everything up. Fill the squash cups with cashew paté, and spread the remainder in a small oiled baking dish. Drizzle them with olive oil, top them with their little stemmy hats, and into a moderate oven for about forty minutes. These are satiny and deeply satisfying.

See the Weekend Herb Blogging report at Mele Cotte this week. Two weeks from today Weekend Herb Blogging will be right here In Mol Araan. Be sure to send along your strengthening herbal suggestions to prepare for (and recover from) the fast.

That’s naturally pink rosemata rice (also called rosematta rice) in the background. I will be getting to this, but in the meantime, read about it here .
, , , , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has finally happened! I read a recipe that I want to cook! Not just one that I want to eat--that happens all the time. As you know, Chocolate Lady, I am more a food admirer than a producer myself. I enjoy watching people cook, reading recipes, talking about food, shopping for food, and eating. In terms of cooking, I leave that to the lovely Mine Freyde. Yet, this recipe definitely calls to me. I am putting on my shopping list right now: little squashes, cashews, herbs. Sh'koyekh!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

So yummy looking. I love those little star shaped squash. I wonder if I can get plants for those here? I've never seen them before but now I want to try growing them!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Simona Carini said...

This dish looks pretty and I am sure it is really good. Nice photos.

4:24 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

nomi, wow, I am honored. Good luck with this!

kalyn, these squashes are delicious, tender, and juicy. The spokes do make stuffing a bit tricky. I hope you find some. I got a new batch this week and I am torn between making up a new filling and making that luxurious cashew pate again.

simona, thanks; I hope you'll try these.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Liz Stokes said...

Oh how totally lovely! You've got me singing 'We Built this City... on Rock and Roll' (Starship) over and over. Ever since my vegan flattie had to go gluten free she has suffered many a curious/disaster exsperiment from me.
(I can't believe how i spelt that, oh the shame, oh the merriment).

anyhow, just wanted to say that I've been acquainted with your blog from my friend Esther, and you have an awesome blog.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home