Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Oh Oh Oh Okra

Red and green okra from Yuno’s Farm

I am staggering to keep up with my CSA farm share deliveries, but even with baskets full of succulent organic vegetables demanding my attention, I could not possibly pass up these breathtaking red and green baby okra from Yuno’s Farm. These are far and away the best okra I have ever tasted in my life. I hope they have some more this week; I can’t wait to make this again. This recipe, which I must own, is the best okra recipe anyone has ever tasted, is similar to one I remembered from Classic Armenian Recipes by Alice Antreassian and Mariam Jebejian. This book is hard to find, so if you are lucky enough to come across a copy do not let it get away.

I just looked it up, and I see that the original recipe calls for cherry tomatoes, and you make a big daisy with tomatoes on the inside and okra all around. That might be fun for next time. This time, I just stirred everything together. I have to insist you try this. The liquescent okra are so silky against their melting, caramelized onions and ambient vegetables. Oh I do believe I am getting the vapors! Perhaps I have just been unusually fortunate, but I have never had an unpleasant okra experience. I have read that if proper care is not taken okra can turn into something dreadful—has this happened to you? What are the dangers? I think I can promise that this recipe is effortless and very forgiving—I don’t see how you can possibly go wrong.

Best Okra Ever

1 pound fresh young okra

Olive oil

1 largish onion, sliced into half-moons

1 largish bell pepper, sliced into thin slivers

1 chile pepper (optional)

5 garlic cloves, peeled, but left whole

1 largish tomato, peeled, seeded, and sliced

salt

Wash the okra and trim the stem-end of each pod into a cone. Heat the oil in a skillet or dutch oven and add the sliced onion, garlic cloves, and peppers. Lower heat and cook until thoroughly relaxed. Add the okra and cook for another ten minutes and finally the tomatoes and salt. Keep cooking until the okra are quite tender.

See Sweetnicks for more colorful and health-giving deliciousness.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan G said...

MMM, another vegetable elegant in its simplicity. Thanks!

10:11 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

susan g,
thanks!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Shayn said...

the only danger i've found with okra comes in picking the pods off those thorny plants...well, they're more like nettles or spines than thorns, but still you'll be itchy for days.

2:57 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

shayn,

ouch! I just cooked nettles for the first time this summer--I should write about that. I was careful, but I did get one painful sting that lasted several days.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Isil Simsek said...

your photo looks really mouth watering ;)I can't find okra here in the farmers market.It's sold in tiny packages( maybe 100grams) in the superstores, can't antipicate what they do with this amount ;)not enough to cook.LOL! Have you ever seen the flower of okra? They are beautiful and in just a few days they turn out to be okras.

6:32 AM  
Blogger joe cupcake said...

oh okra, yes i know it's dangers... in the wrong hands. i once lived with the sweetest hippy ever. she steamed some sliced okra and it was the closest to snot I have ever seen a food to be. i am a big fan of the mucilaginous foods but i also know why some people back away slowly. yours however, look deeeelicious. mmmm.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home