Sunday, July 29, 2007

Stuffed Summer Squash with Dill and Hemp Seeds

I didn’t know for sure what I was going to make this weekend, but I knew it was going to involve zucchini, which continues to pour in over the transom each week. No, I am not yet the tiniest little bit tired of summer squash. I am not saying that to be brave. I just love making things with zucchini. It helps, of course, that we are getting the best zucchini in the universe. We got more of those adorable little starship squashes, so I made a new recipe for stuffed squash. This one is the simplest yet, made only with squash, hemp seeds, dill and salt, but it is so satisfying, you don’t need anything else. If you want to make it even simpler, you can skip the part about stuffing the squashes and just grind them all up and bake the paté in a terrine or loaf pan. These were very cute, but camera-shy (we ate all the models) I will have to add “photograph all food” to my Friday afternoon checklist. They looked a lot like these guys.

Stuffed Summer Squash with Dill and Hemp Seeds

12 smallish starship zucchini (or about 1 ½ pounds summer squash)

1 cup hemp seeds

½ bunch dill (about ¾ cup snipped leaves)

salt, to taste

olive oil

Cut the tops off the squashes and scoop out the insides with a melon-baller or a small spoon. Place the squash innards in a colander and slat them lightly. Salt the interiors of the squash shells and lids and leave to drain for about an hour. Put the hemp seeds in a bowl with just enough water to come up to the top, about half a cup, and allow them to soak. Drain the squash and grind up the squash insides, the soaked hemp seeds, the dill and salt in a processor. Spoon the filling into the shells. Place the stuffed squashes in an oiled baking dish, and drizzle a little more olive oil on top. Bake for about 40 minutes in a moderate oven.

See the roundup for Weekend Herb Blogging at Anna’s Cool Finds.

I added a gorgeous picture to this eggplant recipe—have another look.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

This sounds like a wonderful combination!

12:52 AM  
Blogger Simona Carini said...

I really must look for hemp seeds the next time I go grocery shopping and then try your recipe.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I love this type of squash, which is usually called "pattypan" here. I have some in my garden and they're just starting to come on. Very interesting way to cook them, and I agree, no one could get tired of summer squash fresh from the garden.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Taj food said...

You really know your stuff... Keep up the good work!
arborio rice substitutions

5:03 AM  
Blogger Taj food said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your posts, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work.
sultana and raisins

8:10 AM  
Blogger Taj food said...

Nice job, it’s a great post. The info is good to know!
whole pitted dates

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home