Sunday, April 12, 2009

Uppåkra (Swedish Potato Cookies for Passover)


I was loving these delicious butter cookies (do not click during peysekh!), and they already have lots of potato starch to begin with, so it seemed like a good idea to try a kosher-for-Passover version. For my first try at adapting the recipe I substituted half a cup of cake meal for the cup of flour (cake meal is quite a bit denser than flour), and increased the potato starch by a two tablespoons. Next time I might try adding another two tablespoons of cake meal for a firmer dough. There is really no kosher-for-Passover vanilla extract fabulous enough for these cookies, so I left that out and added the zest of an orange and a lemon, and this worked very nicely. Maybe I start some some homemade vanilla extract now, it will be ready for next year.

The peysekhdik uppåkra came out pleasantly crisp and very crumbly. You won’t believe it’s not chametz.

.

Passover Uppåkra (Swedish Butter Cookies)


8 ounces (2 sticks, 1 cup) butter, softened

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 egg
grated zest of 1 orange

grated zest of one lemon

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons potato starch
½ cup cake meal (maybe ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons would be good)

Cream together butter and sugar in a mixer or with a pastry blender. Beat in the salt, egg and citrus zest. Sift together the cake meal and potato starch; add to butter mixture and beat until combined. Chill dough for about an hour. Roll into small balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. These cookies will spread quite a bit during baking, so give them plenty of room on the sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until edges are brown, rotating the sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through. You will have enough for about three half-sheet pans.


I am usually pretty chill about these things, but I’m just saying: if this recipe is not in the first page of results for "peysekhdik uppåkra," I will be sorely aggrieved.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chocolate Lady,
I'm looking for Jewish songs about food and you seem like a great resource. You may even have some on your site, by I unfortunately do not speak Yiddish. Could you point me in the right direction please? Thank you!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Nomi said...

As far as I can tell, it is the *only hit for "peysekhdik uppåkra"--this post, and other blogs pointing to this post.

4:47 PM  
Blogger ilcucchiaiodoro said...

Complimnets

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home