Monday, November 15, 2010

Zucca Tonda Padana


Will you look at this thing? Might I possibly trouble you momentarily to cease all multitasking and just devote your undivided attention to this handsomely lobed and loopily striated Tonda Padana pumpkin?

There now, Isn't that better?

This will be our Thanksgiving pumpkin, mertseshem. I have not opened it yet, so I can't tell you what it is like inside, but the pumpkin-sites I have found so far are promising sweet, dry, densely-textured flesh.

The colors and contours of this pumpkin could inspire some wonderful hats. In fact, I can't decide whether I would rather cook this pumpkin or wear it on top of my head. Walking around with a gigantic squash on one's head may very well turn out to be the next big thing, as this forward-looking lady in the Abruzzi could tell.

Pregnant woman with squash on her head. Image copied from Savoring Italy by Robert Freson (New York: Harper Collins, 1992)


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly wonderful but I wish I could TOUCH it!

--Shira Beth

9:27 AM  
Blogger Lao Qiao said...

The beauty of pumpkins is part of the beauty of the creation. Pumpkins are not appreciated as much as they should be.

1:28 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Anonymous, I kjnow what you mean! I cannot walk by without a little hello-pat.

San Lao Qiao, This is true, of course, but couldn't one say the same thing about bedbugs?

5:30 PM  
Blogger Alan Divack said...

How big is it? Whether you cook it or wear it, all that it needs is parsley, garlic and olive oil.

6:02 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Alan, It is about 11 inches in diameter at the widest point and my best guess is it weighs about ten pounds. I am planning to stuff it with rice and gingko nuts harvested from the sidewalk downstairs. Watch this space for the recipe.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Alan Divack said...

This baby is definitely too big for the garlic and oil treatment. There was a recipe on NPR a week or two ago (treyf, but could be farkashert) for a stuffed. You basically fill it with toasted bread cubes, sauteed aromatics, bacon (you could omit or even use veggie fakon) cheese, sauteed mushrooms eggs milk etc. It sounds sort of like the filling is a savory bread pudding. What could be bad? They said that you have to be careful when you move it after cooking because the walls can collapse. Good luck!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home