Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Dragon Fruit, or HuǒLóngGuǒ

Oh, heavens to Betsey, will you just look at this thing? I picked up this dragon fruit, or 火龍果 huǒlóngguǒ (literally: fire dragon fruit) in Flushing Queens, or shehekheyuni-land. According to the plant name database, this fruit is also known as Belle of the night, Cinderella plant, Dragon-fruit, Night-blooming cereus, Pitahaya, Queen-of-the-night, Red pitahaya, Strawberry-pear.

Mordkhe Schaechter’s Plant Names in Yiddish has no listing for Hylocereus undatus, or any other hylocereus species (this is the first plant to have stumped Schaechter in my experience, and I have looked up a lot of plants), so according to the international rules for fruit-finding neologists, I get to make one up. I think we need two, actually. I suggest פּיטײַע and פּיפּערנאָטער־באַר (dragon-pear).

The white flesh is mild and mildly sweet, just a bit flowery. It can be scooped with a melon-baller or cut into some snazzy looking wedges and eaten out of hand. When I saw these, the second thing I thought was that I just had to try them. The first thing I thought was, I wonder if Sweetnicks has seen these before?

What do you think? Is this the most stupendous and wonderful plant to appear on this blog? Or was it this finger-citron (Yiddish here)? Are these little red eggplants stupendous enough to be included in the same category?

, ,

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Vancouver's Chinatown, this item is called "Vietnam Dragon Fruit". I will investigate further and find out what it's called in Vietnamese stores: what do you want to bet it's "China Dragon Fruit"?

12:07 AM  
Blogger burekaboy — said...

have to agree, it's quite nice visually. have seen these for years but never tried one. looks like i'll have to make a purchase soon :) btw, never knew the word for dragon oyf yidish, lol, "pipernotter".

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look great! Really dragonny.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Butchery on Bond Street said...

Ikh bin nisht zikher az ikh volt gevolt trefn zikh mit der pipernater-frukht in a tunkele gesele. S'vet zayn sakones nefoshes bloyz tsu kukn af Soton's maykhl ! Yidn: Zayshe mir forzikhtig.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Michael Natkin said...

I just made a sorbet from Dragon Fruit and it was delicious.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home