Friday, September 05, 2008

Honey at Lavra

Buckwheat Honey, acacia honey, clover honey, and several I could not identify. Does anyone know what the almost white honey is? I never saw that before.

The Lavra Monastery in Kyiv, established in 1029, is the cradle of Orthodox Civilization in Europe. There is an enormous campus of churches, belfries, and cloisters, all almost as gorgeous as this. Breathtaking.
Immediately outside the complex is a market where you can get icons, many varieties of local honey, honey infused with hazelnuts, pinenuts, and fruit, and honey wine. The wine is sweet and sour. It is much stronger than it seems to be at first. The winemaker was very sweet, as is perhaps appropriate. He kept wanting to top up our glasses.
I could not bring any honey home, because even without the current ban on any liquid in hand-baggage, it would really be just too much of a provocation to the evil eye to pack honey. I mean, that would just be asking for it, you know what I mean?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re the Lavra Monastery, as you all have always known, my criterion for architectural excellence is how good the building looks as if it would be to eat. Well, need one say more.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog. I can't identify the white honey.

One thing of interest is that different types of honey have properties that improve your health in different ways. The darker honeys like buckwheat honey have strong antioxidant properties.

Some research has shown that certain types of honey are good for wound healing.

Some researchers from Penn State have recently shown that Buckwheat honey is better then the OTC children’s cough medicines for children’s cough. There is a web site that talks about this, and gives lots of research to help people understand how honey effects health. Check out http://www.honeydontcough.com/

Thanks for you blogs,

Daddydoctor

10:24 AM  
Blogger Caramella Mou said...

Hello, it's such a joy to the eye to look at all the honey pots! Hard to tell what the white honey is, but I've had honey of a similarly white colour in Bulgaria. It was labelled as thistle honey and is very tasty, ivory coloured and quite solid.
Another honey that's quite dark, runny and very tasty too is from chestnut. It has a strong aroma and flavour and is great on toast or for baking.
But with dwindling bee populations, I'm worried that lack of variation of flowers may be one contributing factor and generally I try to avoid buying single flower honeys.

6:14 AM  
Blogger AZ Shoshani said...

The white honey looks like a type of honey that's blended with bits of the honeycomb to make a spread. It's called different things: whipped honey, spun honey, honey creme or cream. It's very popular in Europe.

11:07 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Many thanks ven mum and jeff.

carmella mou,
thistle honey and chestnut honey? oh, that sounds so good! Maybe I can find some in time for New Year.

az,
I do love whipped honey. This looks even whiter than what I have seen, but it could be a whipped version of a lighter honey.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice photos. I liked the honey Pots.
Even Doctors suggest to diabetics to eat honey.

8:12 AM  
Blogger §kyye said...

The whiter honey could be raw honey (whipped or not), and flavored with any number of things... I have had raw honey with lavender and I believe I have some (more traditional) raw orange blossom honey in my pantry as of this evening. Yum!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home