Friday, May 26, 2006

More About Methi

Methi at the San Francisco Farmers' Market

The herb on my mind this week is methi (menthi) or trigonella foenum-graecum, the fresh leaves of the fenugreek plant. I have been wanting to find out more about this plant since I first saw it last week at the Farmers' market in San Francisco.

I have not yet prepared any methi, but I feel confident in recommending methi dal from Mahanandi, aloo methi from Salt and Pepper, methi paratha from Cooking Medley, and methi vadi from Food in the Main with a hat tip to a similar recipe from One Hot Stove. I am really hoping to try all of these--probably the aloo methi first--oooh it looks so delicious. The common element running through all these recipes seems to be that the bitter methi leaves pair up well with rich starchy ingredients such as potatoes, dals, and breads (well, what doesn't?).

For this weekend's roundup of all things herbal, see Lucullan Delights

, , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been trying to grow a close relative of this plant on my porch -utskho suneli (to be used in Georgian recipes) a/k/a the "european blue white"-trigonella cerulea. There's a photo of my seedlings here. I'm kind of excited that they came up.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Ilva said...

This is interesting, can't wait to see what you are going to do with it!

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i was studying abroad in india my "host mom" made methi paratha for breakfast fairly often. it was some good stuff...then again, all the home cooked food i had in india was good. it's too bad that my marathi was so poor that i couldn't really grasp any kind of instruction i was given on cooking (they tried to teach me how to roll a chapati by hand once - it takes some kind of crazy wrist action - which resulted in hilarity and amusement by all)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I hope you had a wonderful time visiting the other coast. My brother lives in Venice Beach so I go there from time to time. Can't wait to see what you are going to make from this. I really have no idea what the flavor is like.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tasted it either--but have seen recipes calling for it in some of my cookbooks. Like everyone else--looking forward to seeing the rest of this story--the dish you prepare!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home