Saturday, May 13, 2006

Abbie's Gefilte Fish



Mad love to Haverchuk for linking to this amazing movie of Abbie Hoffman z”l preparing gefilte fish on Christmas Eve 1973. I wrote about this film in Yiddish here, but I wanted to make sure all of you get a look at this. This movie is so rich I hardly know where to begin, buthere are some things to note:

Abbie jokes about language, and many other things, but he is entirely serious about Jewish cooking. This is rarer than you might think, especially when people are talking about gefilte fish. Note the phrases “Best thing I ever made,” and “so pure and unpolluted.”

The horseradish is “the real thing” because it was ground t at a restaurant where they only speak Yiddish.

He reaches off camera to point to the grinder, but we never see the grinder, or how the fish gets ground.

He uses Streit’s matzo meal! "Baked with pride on the Lower East Side!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say, I love this.

9:00 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thanks Lindy,

It's wonderful stuff.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home