Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What a Swell Palyaa

To celebrate the national holidays of the US (July 4), Canada (July 1), and Belarus (July 3), I prepared some recipes from India. This beet dish was new to me. I came across this intriguing recipe for beet palyaa at Sugar and Spice.

I followed the recipe except that I used dried red chiles instead of fresh green ones, and I did not add any curry leaves (kadipatta), because it seemed that on Independence Day one can be exempt from extra shopping trips. You know already that I am a fierce patriot of beta vulgaris in all its forms, but I had never made anything quite like this.

I heated the oil and sizzled spices and a few tablespoons of urad dal. For this dish the lentils function as a seasoning rather than a staple ingredient. Then I added the thinly sliced onions and finally the sliced beets. Cooking time is brief, especially for a beet recipe, and the sweet spicy palyaa is delicious hot off the stove or at room temperature.

Sweetnicks rounds up recipes that declare independence from oxidants.

Food and Drink, Recipes, Cooking, Food, Vegetarian, vegetables, vegan, antioxidant-rich foods,
, ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why didn't someone tell me that you don't have to make extra shopping trips on Independance Day!!! :):) The dish looks great, by the way.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting .You really liked indian recipes.I guess you like spiceness on the whole

11:28 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thanks, Sher,
Glad to set things straight.

Hi Ramya,
I do like both very much--stay tuned for the kimchi watch.

12:55 AM  
Blogger lost in thoughts said...

This palyaa looks great ! Well done. Interesting concept to prepare Indian dishes for North American national holidays :).

12:11 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thanks, Spicehut,

I hope to try more of your recipes.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home