Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Peas with Spiced Cashew Sauce

These peas are inspired by Mahanandi, a gorgeous food blog that thrills me every single day. The recipe I made last week closely follows Indira’s amazing Matar Paneer. My adaptation this time was to make a dairy-free version appropriate for Karina (and lots of other folks) by leaving out the paneer. I doubled the amount of cashews to make up for the richness and protein of the cheese. This was easy to prepare and the heady fragrances that floated up while it was cooking just had me dancing around the kitchen and flying into the walls.

First I prepared Indira’s ginger, garlic and cilantro (GGC) paste by grinding up a bunch of cilantro with half a cup of peeled ginger and a quarter cup of peeled garlic (you can save your ginger scraps to infuse ice creams and things like that). I am glad to have it in the house. I used some in a salad of string beans with sesame oil and that was just the bee’s knees, but right now I’m here to talk about the peas.

Peas with Spiced Cashew Sauce

1 ½ cup shelled peas (from 1 pound unshelled peapods)
1 cup raw cashews (or cashew pieces)

oil
1 onion, diced

1 tablespoon ginger, garlic and cilantro (GGC) paste
4 tomatoes (20 ounces), peeled, seeded, and chopped

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 ½ teaspoon ground coriander

¼ teaspoon (generous) cinnamon

¼ teaspoon (scant) cloves
½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste

Shell the peas. Toast the cashews in an iron skillet or in the oven to a light golden color. Grind them to a powder in a processor and set aside. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and cilantro (GGC) paste, and cook a few seconds more. Then add the tomatoes and cook until they have fallen apart. Add the cashew powder, salt, spices, and the peas with about a cup of water. Mix and simmer covered until the peas are tender and the sauce is thick, adding water as needed.

We had this with rosemata rice (rosematta rice) the exquisite, pink-speckled rice of the Kerala region of India. It is a firm rice with a medium oval grain. I bought mine at Spice Market on Lexington Avenue and 29th Street. Oh, I do love pink food.


Gluten-Free By The Bay will be rounding up the gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, pineapple-free, papaya free and other-allergen-free creations that the food blog-world has dreamed up for this inspiring event. Shkoyekh (thanks) Isaiah, and good health and blessings to Karina and to all of us.


, , , , , ,, ,
,

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

A brilliant recipe. Did you know that Indira was the very first blogger (besides me!) who participated in WHB? Her blog is always interesting. I bet Karina will love this recipe.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy that you tried and liked this recipe. Paneer less cashew matar looks delicious, Eve. And you served it with one of my favorite rice variety, rosematta. Love the whole combination!

Hi Kalyn: I clearly remember your sense of humor behind the WHB idea, when it started. How time flies by.:)

12:36 AM  
Blogger Dermdoc said...

I never tire of fresh peas, despite having eaten a LOT of them this season. So, I'll think I'll make room for one more recipe--with cinnamon clove, and cashews this is just too fabulous a dish to pass up.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eve,
That last comment was actually from me. I didn't realize my husband was signed on, hence his name. Course, I know, he'd love this recipe too.;)

6:26 PM  
Blogger ByTheBay said...

Oh, how fabulous! Wish I hadn't missed this for the roundup, but at least I got your latkes in ;)

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home