Thursday, July 12, 2007

String or Green?

What do you call these vegetables? I never knew of them as anything other than string beans until I was in college. The first time someone mentioned green beans in my hearing I had no idea what she was talking about. Favas maybe? Now I find that if you search for "string beans" on the USDA nutrition site, you find nothing, not even string beans: see green beans, or something like that.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Wait until you see these really long ones. I call them "superstring beans", which is a semi-internal joke.


4:02 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Those are string beans, lady!!

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the days of my callow youth, a string bean actually had a string the length of the bean, which wasn't quite edible. New varieties were engineered and sometimes called "stringless beans." The term "green beans" was introduced as a euphemism.

5:59 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Here's a new complication--an early twentieth century cookbook from Wisconsin calls the "green string beans" (German National Cookery for American Kitchens by Henriette Davidis. Milwaukee: Caspar and Co. 1904).
In our own time, the string/green isogloss seems to separate the northeast from the rest of the country. Are all you string-people from hereabouts originally?

4:16 AM  
Blogger Sushma said...


I think they are called French beans.


2:19 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...


Yes, I should have added that they are also called French beans. In the US, this term is mostly used to distinguish the thinner beans from the garden variety beans.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home