Friday, March 09, 2007

Salam Salami

In this performance, a young man sings about how he is repeatedly frustrated in his attempts to enjoy a sandwich in peace. The components of the sandwich in question are hummus and salami. That sounded dreadful to me, and I thought the ingredients may have been chosen for the sake of the assonance, but I am told this combination is fairly popular in Israel. These unexpected hybrids are likely to emerge at culinary crossroads; sometimes they are better than anything from either of the “parent” cuisines.

I notice the Hebrew word for sandwich turns out to be "sandwich."

4 Comments:

Blogger Lao Qiao said...

The Chinese word for "sandwich," like the Hebrew word, is a borrowing from English. It is sanmingzhi.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was so cool! I'd had no idea how starved I'd been for the beautiful sound of Israeli rock. Toda Raba to the Chocolate Lady!

10:26 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Most venerable guys,

Thanks ever so much!

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe he pronounces it "Sandvitch".

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home