Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pick the Prettiest Pumpkin

The prettiest pumpkin will get filled with a challah, onion, and sage stuffing, and the two runners-up will get to be  pumpkin pie, chocolate pumpkin pie, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin kernik, pumpkin challah, Yiddish pumpkin challah, balsamic braised pumpkin (English recipe pending), and pumpkin papardelle (watch this space), and so on, but which is the prettiest?  Vote in the comments section.  If you are reading this via email, click here, and then click on comment.

 Pumpkin 1 is a Jarrahdale with lovely wide, even lobes.

 Pumpkin 2 is a Marina di Chioggia.  The elegant dark green rind is almost black.

I'm not sure what Pumpkin 3 is, but the swooping swan's-neck stem makes it a contender.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lao Qiao said...

Each one of the three is the prettiest.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Nomi said...

#1! The lobes are the winning feature.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

I LOVE Jarrahdale! Love them. If they were tiny I would carry one with me to pet its silky skin when I get anxious.

Also they are delicious: I puréed one once, and have since made pie and many pumpkin bread/muffin things, as well as using the frozen puréed squash lumps (which I froze in the muffin tin in 1/4 cup increments) in soups, mac&cheese, and other places where it would be invisible.

Anyway, I vote for the Jarrahdale, yay.

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Ven Mum said...

I agree with Lao Qiao. My favorite kind of pumpkin is the one you can ride in.

10:27 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Thank you thank you everyone. Lauren, I also pet pumpkins! I thought I was the only one!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home